Our History

Rabbi Alexander S. Gross
zt”l was a founder and builder RabbiGrossof the Rabbi Alexander S. Gross Hebrew Academy.  Believing that all Jewish children have the right to a Jewish education, he dedicated his life to developing the first Jewish day school south of Baltimore.  Rabbi Gross zt”l left an indelible impression on our school, the students, and community.  Our dedication to Torah and Jewish learning is the ultimate expression of his very special dream.

It all began...

On a bright February day in 1947, the Hebrew Academy officially opened its doors with six first grade youngsters at the Y.M.H.A. building, then located at One Lincoln Road, Miami Beach, Florida. Early in March 1947, a Kindergarten and Pre-Kindergarten class, consisting of 16 children under the capable supervision of Barbara Goldstein, was in full swing.

In April 1947, Herman M. Berk, a Miami Beach attorney, drew up a charter in the name of the Greater Miami Hebrew Academy, a nonprofit educational, charitable, religious corporation.

As the idea of a school combining a Hebrew and secular program caught on, the need for larger quarters became urgent.  The original two rooms in the Y.M.H.A. were inadequate.  In May 1947, Aaron S. Lauer, Dr. David Andron, and the late Harry Levitt, acting on behalf of the Hebrew Academy, purchased the building located at Sixth Street and Jefferson Avenue, which then housed the Methodist Church.  The price was $45,500.

In September 1947, with an enrollment of 80 students, the Greater Miami Hebrew Academy opened its heart and doors to welcome its students into the concepts of a bilingual program.

In December 1947, Rabbi Alexander S. Gross arrived in Miami to plan, work for and carry through the dedication of the Hebrew Academy, which took place in January 1948.